Posted on February 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM
As a parent I know we worry-
- Am I doing the right thing for my child?
- Is my child learning like they should?
- Can my child cope socially?
These are a few questions we ask as parents. But fear not, your child is learning from you everyday. you are your child's role model. Ways to help your child succeed in school and in life-
- Read to your child every day
- Talk to them every day
- Try to spend as much time as you can with them. I know that is hard, but when you are preparing meals, see what they could participate in the process or have them sit at the table coloring while you talk to them about what you are doing or they are doing. Use this time to do math, problem solve, expand on their vocabulary. I know it sounds hard, but think about it. Counting the vegetables you have, when you are cutting something in 1/2-1/4 or 1/8, when something changes color or texture- Wow Science, No! See you just taught them what they need with every day life activities.
- When running errands you could do the same- colors, numbers or even help put things in the basket even if they are sitting in the child section of the cart. Hand them the item and they could learn the difference between heavy and light. WOW!!!! See how simple.
Not only you are spending quality time with your child, but you are also investing in their education by reinforcing what they learn during the day in school. I hope this is helpful and please share any Ideas you may have to share with others.